Tuesday 15 January 2013

New Year’s Misgivings

I recently made a new year’s resolution to be able to run 5k in 18 minutes.  I didn’t think about it that much, I just saw it on a few running message boards and it seemed like a standard RUNNER’S time for a 5k.  
I told my dad about it because he is also a runner.  He’s actually a really, really good runner and used to run for New Zealand in his younger days.  He frowned when I mentioned the time and used maths (not my strongest point) to show me that I’d have to run each kilometre in about 3 and a half minutes and keep up that pace for five kilometres.  
He basically told me it was impossible.  Now that I've really thought about it, I have to say I kind of agree with him… BUT I have the whole year to work towards this.  And it’s a good goal to work towards.  Even if I don’t make that 18 minute mark, it won’t have been in vain.  And I really want to be able to do it just so I can wave it in his face!
Right now I can run 5k in about 25 minutes.  I haven’t really been trying for speed, just a matter of putting one foot in front of the other.  So here’s to shaving a whole seven minutes off my time this year.  I can do it!!...????


1 comment:

Abigail said...

You can do it!!!!!! I'm so impressed with people who run. I used to run but lately I just can't work up the nerve to go out and run anywhere. I do want to start up some yoga, though.