Thursday 9 August 2012

Adventure time!

I went geocaching when I was babysitting Ajax and had the most hilarious time. The cache led me into this little woodland area. It was really beautiful actually, this little spot of forest in the middle of suburbia… two main roads on either side. I had the dog with me but I had to let him off the lead because he kept pulling me along and there’s only so many times you can get pulled into spiders’ webs and squeal.

I let my overactive imagination get away with me. I was in the middle of nowhere and had just watched ‘I Am Legend’, which of course made me think of zombies- when really I should have been on the look out for serial killers- you know, scary things that ACTUALLY exist!

IMG_1155

This is me and Ajax.  I am holding onto a big stick I found… just in case I needed to fight someone :)
My brain was on the lookout for zombies and I probably would have genuinely died of fright if I’d crossed paths with a human being. So I’ve got my head down looking at my phone, trying to follow the little compass thing when I hear this rustle in the bushes. I’m like “ZOMBIE!!” and I look to the dog because I think, well he’ll know if there’s something worth being scared of or if it’s just something silly like the wind through the leaves. Ajax was standing stock still, hackles up, staring intently at the bushes. Uh-oh.

AND THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN A FRICKING KANGAROO BOUNDS OUT OF THE BUSHES AND AWAY FROM US.

I live in Australia so it’s obviously within the realms of possibility but I live in a state capital city and was in the middle of suburbia. No place for kangaroos. Anyway, it made me laugh and was probably just as expected as a zombie.

The geocache was described as a “micro-cache”. I was expecting something small, instead I got this.

IMG_1149

A microwave spray-painted green and hidden underneath a dense bush.  Brilliant!!  The logbook and goodies were all hidden inside the microwave.  It made me laugh.








No comments: