Friday 8 July 2011

Tomorrow, tomorrow!

Tomorrow is the Medieval Faire. I am too excited. Except for *sad face* Jess won't be coming because she is sick!!!!!!! We have been talking about this day for months and now she can't come because she is feeling sick. Poor thing, I don't know who is sadder out of the two of us! I will have to take lots of photos to make up for it, hope my camera is up to the challenge.

Because Jess was sick today, she wasn't at work so I had to be a big girl and work BY MYSELF! This meant that I had to prepare the theatre room for surgery, including the anaesthetic machine aka my arch nemesis, I had to admit the (one!) patient, take all her vitals and prepare her for surgery. Thank the Lord she was a six month old Maltese and cute to boot! Along with doing all my reception-y things as well.

Funny story, but not really. We were constantly changing up the anaesthetic dose of this pup during the surgery, her heart rate was going up and down, as was her breathing rate. Sometimes animals react funny under anaesthetic. I was therefore watching the heart monitors very closely and saw the heart rate drop slowly and then cut out completely. Again, my suspicions are confirmed that I am absolutely the worst person to have around in an emergency. I watched the monitor for about ten seconds in disbelief and then I said "There's no heart beat" to which the vet's head shot up from his work and he was like "WHAT?!?!?". And then I saw that the heart rate monitor had slipped off and that's why the heart rate wasn't registering. I don't think my boss was too impressed with me freaking him out over a little mistake I should have picked up straight away!

So yes, Medieval Faire. My trusty roomies are coming along for the ride. I hope I don't embarass myself by revealing how much of a true nerd I am. Although I think they do already know :)

4 comments:

Abigail said...

Yay for Medieval Faire! They are so fun! The puppy story is funny/sad... and it's a mistake anyone could make; I know I would've gone into full on panic mode and ruined everything, so I think you handled it pretty well, considering.

As to "Game of Thrones"... I actually haven't started reading it yet. I got distracted by a very charming book called "The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of her Own Making" by Catherynne M. Valente, and now I'm reading "Sense and Sensibility." "Game of Thrones" is on the list next, I think. I have heard from a friend that the first 150 pages or so are very slow and hard to get through, but if you get past that, you're hooked. So maybe it's just a tough beginning?

A Lost Feather said...

aw! i'm glad the little pup is alright. i would have freaked out too!

boo, i'm sorry your friend is sick and can't make it to the fair! i hate when things like that happen. i hope you have a fun time though :)

Katie said...

Cutest puppy ever! I'm so glad the lack of heartbeat was just due to the monitor slipping off.

Have fun at the faire! You'll need to make sure you have a lot of fun so you can share it all with your friend when you get back.

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

What a precious pup! AWWW!

I bet you will have a BLAST at the Faire...we have a Renaissance Faire in our town, and I love to go see all the crazy costumes! :) TAKE PICTURES!! ;)